Social media provides brands with an abundance of opportunities. As of 2022, 4.62 billion people across the world use social media. As the number of users continues to rise, it’s clear that social media isn’t going anywhere. With over half (53%) of the world’s population on social media, it’s important that you have effective social media strategies to increase business. Let’s look at social media marketing stats and how different platforms perform over others.
Social Media Usage & Engagement Stats
- 49% of consumers that are between the ages of 18 to 29 admitted they have purchased a product because of a social media ad.
- 67% of consumers said videos are the most effective to get messages across to potential buyers.
- 91% of marketers do business on social media channels.
- Social ad spending is reaching approximately $75.3 billion dollars in 2022, which is an increase of 25% from 2021.
- Millennials are on social media for an average of two hours and 38 minutes a day, while Generation Z averages two hours and 55 minutes.
- Worldwide, people spend an average of 2 hours and 27 minutes a day on social media apps.
- 56% of American adults have multiple social media accounts.
- Social media daily usage by generation:
Social Media Usage by Devices
- 91% of social media users are on smartphones or other mobile devices when viewing their social media platforms.
- About 83% of social media users are on mobile devices while 15% are using laptops and desktops.
Social Media Stats Per App
- The number of teenagers using Facebook has dropped to 67%, while in 2015, 71% of teens used the platform.
- 98.3% of Facebook users access their accounts on mobile devices.
- Over traditional ads, videos perform better when marketing on Facebook.
- The best time to post on Facebook is Wednesday at 11am and 1-2pm. Studies show that Sundays have the least amount of traffic each week.
- 300 million people watch Facebook stories daily. Every day, 1 billion stories are posted on this app.
- Instagram has 1 billion users, making it the most popular social network worldwide.
- The majority of Instagram users range between 25 to 34 years old, which makes this platform very attractive for marketers.
- Instagram dominates over other apps in terms of highest engagement. 81% of people engage in ads and brands versus Facebook’s 8%.
- Influencers and brands who utilize Instagram stories (83%), posts, sponsorships, grid posts (93%), and videos have higher chances for reaching more users.
- 44% of Instagram users shop for products on the app weekly, while 200 million users visit a business profile a day.
- 75% of Instagram users will complete a purchase after seeing an ad and visiting the company page on Instagram.
- Snapchat is extremely popular for those in the 15–24-year-old age group. 48% of people in the United States use Snapchat over other communication platforms.
- Snapchat’s global advertising revenue has surpassed $2.5 billion dollars.
- On average, 332 million people use Snapchat every single day.
- In April 2022, research found that 589.4 million Snapchat users could be reached per day using Snapchat Ads.
- Currently, there are 217 million active users on Twitter.
- Twitter’s largest audience are individuals between the ages of 25 to 34.
- Ad revenue on Twitter will exceed $1.41 billion in 2022.
- On average, 500 million tweets are shared every day.
- In the US, 46% of Twitter users use the app daily, while 30% use the app multiple times a day.
- 70.4% of Twitter users are male and only 29.6% are female.
- In 2022, LinkedIn reached 66.8 million users each month in the United States.
- Employees are 14x more likely to share content from someone they know over other types of content. (LinkedIn)
- Brands that use LinkedIn Ads have found a 33% increase in purchasing results from exposure.
- Marketers have seen higher conversion rates when using LinkedIn Ads.
- There are 58 million companies that use LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn users identify as male, with 43% identifying as women.
- TikTok currently has 1 billion active users worldwide.
- 62% of TikTok’s audience falls in the age range of 10-to-29-year-olds.
- It’s predicted that more than $11 million dollars in revenue will be generated from TikTok ads in 2022.
- TikTok’s most popular categories based on hashtag views are:
B2B Social Media Marketing Stats
- 93% of B2B content marketers will use LinkedIn for organic social marketing over other applications.
- 75% of B2B content marketers use LinkedIn Ads for marketing initiatives.
- Content marketers who use LinkedIn Ads say they see a 79% increase in sales and produce better results.
- 79% of B2B marketers have social media strategies in place to achieve their goals in 2022.
B2C Social Media Marketing Stats
- In 2022, 62% of B2C marketers plan to use influencers to promote their brand.
- B2C marketers average 26% of their own budget to marketing content.
- 62% of B2C marketers said they plan to differentiate their posts amongst their competitors.
- 73% of B2C marketers use keyword research for SEO when creating content.
- B2C marketers that post on at least two social media platforms report that Facebook and Instagram produce the best marketing results.
Social media plays a huge role in companies' success and provides new opportunities every day. Use these statistics to change how you market to your customers and understand how each platform will benefit you the most.